Alberto García-Basteiro leads the TB research area at Centro de Investigação em Saúde de Manhiça (CISM) and is a researcher at the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal). He trained as a physician at University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, and finished his residency on preventative medicine and public health at Hospital Clinic in Barcelona. He holds a Master’s Degree of Epidemiology by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and a Master's Degree in Research Methodology in Health Sciences by the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB). Alberto has been an intern at the Panamerican Health Organization (PAHO) in Costa Rica and has participated in different research projects and clinical trials in poverty related diseases in Central America and Africa. Since June 2012 he is associated with the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal). Currently, he coordinates several research studies and clinical trials in the area of tuberculosis at CISM. He is a lecturer at the masters of Global Health at the University of Barcelona/ISGlobal. Since September 2015, he is also affiliated with the Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD).
Lines of Research
- Epidemiological characterization of Tuberculosis in Mozambique
- Development of new tools against tuberculosis (new diagnostic tests, drug clinical trials)
- Individual and community determinants associated with vaccination to several infectious diseases.
- García-Basteiro AL, Mamudo I, Carrilho C, Ussene E, Castillo P, Chitsungo D, Rodríguez C, Lovane L, Vergara A, Lorenzoni C, Ordi J, Menéndez C, Bassat Q, Martínez MJ. The role of Xpert MTB/RIF in diagnosing pulmonary tuberculosis in post-mortem tissues. Sci Rep. 2016 Feb 10;6:20703.
- García-Basteiro AL, Mamudo I, Carrilho C, Ussene E, Castillo P, Chitsungo D, Lovane L, Lorenzoni C, Martínez M, Ordi J, Menéndez C, Bassat Q. “Pomegranate” spleen in disseminated tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 20151;192(3):387-8.
- López-Varela E, García-Basteiro AL, Santiago B, Wagner D, van Ingen J, Kampmann B. Non-tuberculous mycobacteria in children: muddying the waters of tuberculosis diagnosis. Lancet Respir Med. 2015 Mar;3(3):244-256.
- García-Basteiro AL, López-Varela E, Respeito D, González R, Naniche D, Manhiça I, Macete E, Cobelens F, Alonso PL. High tuberculosis burden among people living with HIV in southern Mozambique. Eur Respir J. 2015; 45(2):547-9
- García-Basteiro AL, López-Varela E, Manhiça I, Macete E, Alonso PL. Mozambique faces challenges in the fight against tuberculosis. Lancet 2014; 383(9913):215-216