David Donaire Gonzalez received his Degree in Physioterapy in 2000, his Degree in Psychology in 2004 and his PhD in 2015 (Effects of physical activity in course of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease).
Since 2007, he has been working as an epidemiologist in the Respiratory and Environmental Health research unit at the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL) and (ISGlobal). His research on physical activity and COPD has been awarded by the European Respiratory Society in 2007, the College of Physiotherapists of Catalunya in 2009, and the Scientific Committee of the XIV COPD Symposium in 2014.
From 2012, his expertise in continuous personal exposure assessment using novel technologies has been applied to examine the interrelationships and effects between environment, behavior and health in several international projects like TAPAS, PHENOTYPE, HELIX, EXPOsOMICs, and PASTA.
Lines of Research
His research is focused on the personal assessment of travel behavior, physical activity and environmental exposure of humans with the special interest on the physical activity effects upon health outcomes and prevention of health risks derived from environmental exposures.
- Donaire-Gonzalez D, de Nazelle A, Seto E, Méndez MA, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Jerret M. Comparison of physical activity measures using mobile phone-based CalFit and Actigraph. J Med Internet Res 2013; 15(6): e111.
- Donaire-Gonzalez D, Gimeno-Santos E, Balcells E, Rodríguez DA, Farrero E, de Batlle J, Benet M, Ferrer A, Barberà JA, Gea J, Rodriguez-Roisin R, Antó JM, Garcia-Aymerich J. Physical activity in COPD patients: patterns and bouts. Eur Respir J 2013; 42(4): 993-1002.
- Donaire-Gonzalez D, Gimeno-Santos E, Balcells E, De Batlle J, Ramon MA, Rodríguez E, Farrero E, Benet M, Guerra S, Sauleda J, Ferrer A, Ferrer J, Barbera JA, Rodríguez-Roisín R, Gea J, Agusti A, Antó JM, Garcia-Aymerich J. Benefits of physical activity on COPD hospitalisation depend on intensity. Eur Respir J 2015; 46(5): 1281-1289.
- Donaire-Gonzalez D, de Nazelle A, Cole-Hunter A, Curto A, Rodríguez DA, Méndez MA, Garcia-Aymerich J, Basagana X, Ambros A, Jerrett M, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. The Added Benefit of Bicycle Commuting on the Regular Amount of Physical Activity Performed. Am J Prev Med 2015; 49(6): 842-849.
- Donaire-Gonzalez D, Valentín A, de Nazelle A, Ambros A, Carrasco-Turigas G, Seto E, Jerrett M, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ. Benefits of Mobile Phone Technology for Personal Environmental Monitoring. JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2016; 4(4): e126.