Jordi Vila Estape
Director of the Antimicrobial Resistance Initiative
Head of the Department of Clinical Microbiology in the Hospital Clinic and Full Professor in the School of Medicine, University of Barcelona. He obtained the speciality in clinical microbiology in 1984 and the PhD in Biochemistry in 1985. He has published 238 articles in peer-reviewed journals, 35 book chapters and directed 11 doctoral thesis.
Lines of Research
- Investigation of the molecular bases of antimicrobial resistance, mainly in multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria such as Acinetobacter baumannii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and multidrug-resistant Enterobacteriaceae.
- Discovery of new drugs against bacteria. He is currently working with a new derivative of ciprofloxacin with a good activity against multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacilli. Moreover, peptides with antibacterial activity are being studied.
- Development of molecular tools for rapid diagnosis of infectious diseases. New applications of Mass-spectrometry in the field of diagnosis of infectious diseases are investigated and discovery of biomarkers.
- Relationship between antimicrobial resistance and virulence in E. coli, Salmonella spp., Yersinia enterocolitica, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii.
- Vila J, Ruiz J, Marco F, Goñi P, Barceló A, Giralt E, Jimenez de Anta MT. Association between double mutation in gyrA gene of ciprofloxacin-resistant clinical isolates of Escherichia coli and minimal inhibitory concentration. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1994; 38: 2477-2479.
- Vila J, Ruiz J, Goñi P, Jimenez de Anta MT. Detection of mutations in the parC gene of quinolone-resistant isolates of Escherichia coli. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 1996; 40: 491-493.
- Vila J, Simón K, Horcajada JP, Velasco M, Barranco M, Moreno A, Martínez JA, Mensa J. Are quinolone resistant uropathogenic Escherichia coli less virulent? Journal of Infectious Diseases 2002; 186:1039-1042.
- Vila J, Martí S, Sánchez-Céspedes J. Porins, efflux pumps and multidrug resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2007; 59: 1210-1215.
- Roca I, Martí S, Espinal P, Martínez P, Gibert I, Vila J. CraA, a major facilitator superfamily efflux pump associated with chloramphenicol resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2009; 53: 4013-4014.