Sergi Alonso Fernández
Sergi Alonso is a PhD student under the supervision of Dr. Elisa Sicuri. He is currently based at the Manhiça Health Research Centre (CISM) in Mozambique.
His research interests are in Health Economics relating to developing countries and Applied Microeconometrics. He is currently focusing on evaluating inequalities and inequities in the delivery of malaria healthcare as well as the cost-effectiveness of vector control strategies for malaria. In the past, he has evaluated the market for antimalarials in Manhiça (Mozambique) and the determinants of the demand for them, and the cost-effectiveness of alternative treatment and diagnostic tools for pediatric visceral leishmaniasis in Morocco. He has also participated in economic evaluations of introducing a malaria and HPV vaccines in Sub-Saharan countries and a malaria elimination plan in Papua New Guinea.
Lines of Research
- Economic evaluation of health interventions
- Equity in healthcare delivery
- Economics of infectious diseases
- Alonso S, Tachfouti N, Najdi A, et al. Cost-effectiveness of diagnostic-therapeutic strategies for paediatric visceral leishmaniasis in Morocco. BMJ Glob Health 2017;2:e000315. doi:10.1136/ bmjgh-2017-000315
- Pastor L, Casellas A, Carrillo J, Alonso S, Parker E, Fuente-Soro L, Jairoce C, Mandomando I, Blanco J, Naniche D. IP-10 Levels as an Accurate Screening Tool to Detect Acute HIV Infection in Resource-Limited Settings. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 14;7(1):8104. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-08218-0.
- Alonso S, Munguambe K, Sicuri E. Market for Artemether-Lumefantrine to treat childhood malaria in a district of southern Mozambique. Health Economics. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.3514
- Tachfouti N, Najdi A, Alonso S, Sicuri E, Laamrani El Idrissi A, Nejjari C, et al. (2016) Cost of Pediatric Visceral Leishmaniasis Care in Morocco. PLoS ONE 11(6): e0155482. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0155482