Oriol Mitjà Villar
Assistant Research Professor
Dr. Oriol Mitjà is a researcher and consultant physician in Infectous Diseases with expertise on strategies for the eradication of Skin Neglected Tropical Diseases. He currently works at both the Lihir Medical Centre in Papua New Guinea and the Barcelona Institute for Global Health. He is also technical advisor for the World Health Organization.
For the past 6 years he has conducted breakthrough research on the diagnosis and treatment of yaws, a chronic and debilitating treponemal disease. His work has been published in prestigious scientific journals and he has been awarded several scientific prizes including the Prince of Girona 2013 Award.
He graduated from University of Barcelona School of Medicine (2004), completed a residency in Infectous Diseases (Barcelona, 2010), a Diploma of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (London, 2010) and a PhD in Medicine (Barcelona, 2012).
Lines of Research
- Clinical development of new tools for the diagnosis of endemic treponemal infections (yaws).
- Development of integrated surveillance and management strategies for skin Neglected Tropical Diseases such as leprosy, Buruli ulcer and yaws.
- Mitja O, Houinei W, Moses P, et al. Mass treatment with single-dose azithromycin for yaws. New England Journal of Medicine 2015; 372: 703-710. [IF:54.42]
- Mitja O, Marks M, Konan DPJ, et al. Global epidemiology of yaws: a systematic review. Lancet Global Health 2015; 3:e324-331. [IF:54.42]
- Mitja O, Lukehart SA, Pokowas G, et al. Heamophilus ducreyi as a cause o skin ulcers in children from a yaws-endemic area of Papua New Guinea: a prospective cohort study. Lance Global Health 2014; 2: e235-241.
- Ayove T, Houinei W, Wangnapi R, Mitja O. Evaluation of a rapid dual point-of-care assay for targeting antibiotic treatment for yaws eradication: a comparative study. Lancet Global Health 2014; 2: e415-21.
- Mitja O, Hays R, Ipai A, Penias M, Paru R, Fagaho D, de Lazzari E, Bassat Q. Single-dose azithromycin versus benzathine benzylpenicillin for treatment of yaws in children in Papua New Guinea: an open-label, non-inferiority, randomized trial. Lancet 2012; 379: 342-7.
- Mitja O, Asiedu K, Mabey D. Yaws. Lancet 2013; 381: 763-73.