Dr. Gascon took his degree at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and specialised in Internal Medicine. He worked in the Hospital of Nemba (Ruanda, 1982-86), where, besides his healthcare duties, he also started up several community programmes (children's vaccination, traditional midwives, water purification, etc.). He subsequently obtained a Master in Medical Microbiology (UAB) and a Post-Graduate Degree in Tropical Medicine (LSTM).
Head of the Tropical Medicine and International Health department at Hospital Clínic of Barcelona and director of ISGlobal's Chagas Initiative, his current research interests are Imported Diseases and Chagas’ Disease.
Lines of research
- Chagas disease. Together with his team, they study the burden of infection and disease on latin-americans who came from endemic areas. They validate the transmission ways in non-endemic areas and study potential biomarkers of disease progression. They are also undertaking physiopathologic studies related to endothelium and its possible relationship with ventricular dysfunction and ecographic measures.
- Imported Pathology: Clinical studies, epidemiology, drug resistance of the main imported diseases: Malaria, Arbovirus, Enteropathogens.
- Muñoz J, Coll O, Juncosa T, Vergés M, del Pino M, Fumado V, Bosch J, Posada EJ, Hernandez S, Fisa R, Boguña JM, Gállego M, Sanz S, Portús M, Gascón J. Prevalence and vertical transmission of Trypanosoma cruzi infection among pregnant Latin American women attending 2 maternity clinics in Barcelona, Spain. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2009 Jun 15;48(12):1736-1740.
- Soy D, Aldasoro E, Guerrero L, Posada E, Serret N, Mejía T, Urbina JA, Gascón J. Population pharmacokinetics of benznidazole in adult patients with Chagas disease. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;59(6):3342-9.
- Garcia-Alvarez A, Sitges M, Pinazo M, Regueiro-Cueva A, Posada E, Poyatos S, Ortiz-Pérez JT, Heras M, Azqueta M, Gascon J, Sanz G. Chagas cardiomyopathy: the potential of diastolic dysfunction and brain natriuretic peptide in the early identification of cardiac damage. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010 Sep 21;4(9). pii: e826.
- Calvo-Cano A, Gómez-Junyent J, Lozano M, Castro P, Cid J, Nicolás JM, Quintó L, Martin M, Muñoz J, Gascon J. The role of red blood cell exchange for severe imported malaria in the artesunate era: a retrospective cohort study in a referral centre. Malar J. 2016 Apr 14;15(1):216. doi: 10.1186/s12936-016-1264-z.
- Pinazo MJ, Posada Ede J, Izquierdo L, Tassies D, Marques AF, de Lazzari E, Aldasoro E, Muñoz J, Abras A, Tebar S, Gallego M, de Almeida IC, Reverter JC, Gascon J. Altered Hypercoagulability Factors in Patients with Chronic Chagas Disease: Potential Biomarkers of Therapeutic Response. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Jan 4;10(1):e0004269.