The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
MESA is an inclusive and collaborative consortium of malaria research, policy, and implementation partners dedicated to advancing the science of malaria eradication. First launched in 2012 with the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), MESA is based on the concept that an optimized, funded, and evolving malaria elimination and eradication research agenda is critical for the long-term goals of global eradication. The alliance is hosted by the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal), and focused on developing innovative, strategic, and evidence-based solutions for countries and regions to control and eliminate malaria.
From its initiation, MESA has had a strong working partnership with the WHO Global Malaria Programme and in 2013, ISGlobal was designated a WHO Collaborating Center for Malaria Control, Elimination and Eradication. One of MESA's key functions is working with the WHO Global Malaria Programme to support the translation of research to policy recommendations.
What We Are Looking for
Under the leadership of the Principal Investigator of MESA, the MESA coordinator is responsible for the overall achievement of MESA’s objectives, leading the MESA team based in Barcelona and other locations, and for MESA’s collaborations with key partners and other external stakeholders. MESA’s main functional areas are:
- Knowledge management
- Addressing knowledge gaps through operational research
- Communities of action
- Promoting scientific leadership in malaria endemic countries
The MESA coordinator will work hand by hand with the MESA PI with the following main duties and tasks:
- With the MESA PI and Governing Bodies, define the programme’s strategic direction and goals
- Lead the development of the different MESA activities and ensure they are done fulfilling highly quality standards
- Lead the MESA team, including defining workplans, supervising, managing professional development, appointments
- Actively seek opportunities and synergies with relevant stakeholders, initiate novel collaborations and be responsible for grant applications
- Represent and promote the MESA in the malaria and global health communities
- Responsible for approving ToRs and appointment of contractors and sub-grantees
- Synergize with ISGlobal’s strategic goals and activities, including through the Malaria Elimination Initiative, Communications, and Education and Training departments
- Responsible for progress and financial reports to the funder and ISGlobal
- Coordinates with the Director of the Malaria Elimination Initiative of ISGlobal
- The MESA coordinator will report to the MESA Principal Investigator
- MSc or PhD in a relevant field ( i.e life sciences, global health, etc)
- Experience in malaria, knowledge management and operational research
- Experience in managing teams of people and large grants
- Experience in developing and managing strong partnerships inside and outside the organization
- Experience working with or collaborating with WHO or other policy making bodies.
- Experience working with alliances or consortiums.
- Strong work ethic, and ability to prioritize, focus and achieve results
- Diplomacy and efficiency
- Ability to manage problems and bottlenecks
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Availability to travel
- Team player and
- Ability to manage transversal teams
- Good level of Spanish or Catalan
- Content management of web-based datasets
- Proficiency in English
- Duration: 3 years
- Starting date: June 2021
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form including the following reference: Coordinator_MESA_May21 The receipt of applications will be open until June 10th 2021.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.