Jose Muñoz Gutiérrez
Assistant Research Professor
Dr Jose Muñoz is a medical doctor specialized in internal medicine and infectious diseases. Having worked as a physician and researcher in Ivory Coast and Mozambique, he is now employed at the Hospital Clinic-Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal). His work here focuses on clinical and epidemiological research of tropical imported diseases among travelers and immigrants and neglected tropical diseases, in particular Chagas disease and helminthiases.
Dr Muñoz has taught in the Master of International Health at the University of Barcelona since 2005 and he is currently a lecturer in the Master of Global Health of ISGlobal-University of Barcelona. He also teaches several courses related to imported diseases. He is a board member of Federation of European Societies of Tropical Medicine and International Health (FESTMIH).
Lines of research
- Imported infectious diseases in travelers and migrants: Clinical and epidemiological research of imported diseases in travelers especially focused on parasitic infections and vector-borne diseases.
- Neglected Tropical Diseases: Main interest in soil-transmitted helminths: diagnosis and treatment.
- Migration and health: The study of parasitic infections in migrants in Europe, particularly in the Latin American population. Special interest in diagnosis, case detection and screening.
- Requena-Méndez A, Albajar-Viñas P, Angheben A, Chiodini P, Gascón J, Muñoz J; Chagas Disease COHEMI Working Group. Health policies to control chagas disease transmission in European countries. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2014 Oct 30;8(10):e3245.
- Muñoz J, Rojo-Marcos G, Ramírez-Olivencia G, Salas-Coronas J, Treviño B, Perez Arellano JL, Torrús D, Muñoz Vilches MJ, Ramos JM, Alegría I, López-Vélez R, Aldasoro E, Perez-Molina JA, Rubio JM, Bassat Q. Diagnosis and treatment of imported malaria in Spain: Recommendations from the Malaria Working Group of the Spanish Society of Tropical Medicine and International Health (SEMTSI). Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2014 Mar 20
- Requena-Mendez A, Chiodini PL, Bisoffi Z, Buonfrate D, Gotuzzo E, Muñoz J. The Laboratory Diagnosis and follow up of Strongyloidiasis: a systematic review. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2013 Jan;7(1):e2002
- Muñoz J, Coll O, Juncosa T, Vergés M, del Pino M, Fumado V, Bosch J, Posada EJ, Hernandez S, Fisa R, Boguña JM, Gállego M, Sanz S, Portús M, Gascón J. Prevalence and vertical transmission of Trypanosoma cruzi infection among pregnant Latin American women attending 2 maternity clinics in Barcelona, Spain. Clin. Infect. Dis. 2009 Jun 15;48(12):1736-1740.
- Muñoz J, Gómez i Prat J, Gállego M, Gimeno F, Treviño B, López-Chejade P, Ribera O, Molina L, Sanz S, Pinazo MJ, Riera C, Posada EJ, Sanz G, Portús M, Gascon J. Clinical profile of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in a non-endemic setting: immigration and Chagas disease in Barcelona (Spain). Acta Trop. 2009 Jul;111(1):51-55.