Iro Evlampidou is a medical doctor (2000) specialised in General Medicine (2007) with a master in Public Health (2005) and a diploma in Field Epidemiology (EPIET, 2014). Iro has worked with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) since 2001 in various positions (MD, medical team leader, field coordinator, medical coordinator and epidemiologist) in Zambia, Burma, South Sudan, Kenya, Greece, Liberia and Belgium. She is also collaborating with academic and public institutions either as a researcher or as invited lecturer. Iro has gained extensive experience in the area of migrant and refugee health both through her work with MSF and academically. During the recent refugee crisis in Europe, she was supporting MSF’s projects as an epidemiologist and coordinator of field medical activities. Iro joined ISGlobal in October 2017 to participate in the project of global assessment of exposure to disinfection by-products in drinking water and estimation of the burden of bladder cancer that could be attributable to this exposure. Her main responsibility is the coordination of the project and the participation in data analysis. Iro also is coordinating a sampling campaign in Manhiça, Mozambique, to analyze chemicals in drinking water samples.
Lines of Research
- Water pollution
- Disinfection by-products
- Refugee & Migrant Health
- Malaria, TB & other infectious diseases
- Evlampidou I, Kogevinas M. Solidarity outpatient clinics in Greece: a survey of a massive social movement. Gac Sanit [Internet]. Elsevier; 2018 Mar [cited 2018 Mar 15]; Available from: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S021391111830013X. DOI: 10.1016/j.gaceta.2017.12.001
- Evlampidou I, Hickman M, Irish C, Young N, Oliver I, Gillett S, Cochrane A. Low hepatitis B testing among migrants: a cross-sectional study in a UK city. Br J Gen Pract. 2016 Jun;66(647):e382-91. doi: 10.3399/bjgp16X684817. Epub 2016 Mar 29
- Evlampidou I, Danis K, Lenglet A, Tseroni M, Theocharopoulos Y, Panagiotopoulos T. Malaria knowledge, attitudes and practices among migrants from endemic countries in Evrotas, Lakonia, Greece, 2013. Euro Surveill. 2015;20(33):pii=21208.
- Cochrane A, Evlampidou I, Irish C, Ingle SM, Hickman M. Hepatitis B infection prevalence by country of birth in migrant populations in a large UK city. JCV. 2015;68:79-82
- Christie A, Davies-Wayne GJ, Cordier-Lasalle T, Blackley DJ, Laney AS, Williams DE, et al. Possible sexual transmission of ebola virus - Liberia, 2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 May 8;64(17):479-81.