Jan-Paul Zock completed his M.Sc. in Environmental Sciences at the University of Wageningen (The Netherlands) in 1990 and received his PhD at the same university in 1998. He specialized in occupational and environmental epidemiology, and occupational hygiene. In 1999, he started working at the IMIM-Hospital del Mar in Barcelona where he took part in the European Community Respiratory Health Survey (ECRHS).
He has participated as work package leader in the EU projects GA2LEN and HITEA. He was one of the leaders of a study on the health effects of the Prestige oil spill among fishermen. He conducted several studies on asthma related to professional and home cleaning agents. He currently participates in the EU funded project Ageing Lungs in European Cohorts (ALEC) and takes part in the ECRHS steering committee as coordinator of the occupational working group.
Lines of Research
- Assessment of occupational exposures and their effects on asthma and COPD
- Cleaning-related asthma
- Respiratory and allergic effects of indoor exposures
- Cleaning and disinfecting environmental surfaces in health care: Toward an integrated framework for infection and occupational illness prevention. Quinn MM, Henneberger PK, ..., Zock JP. Am J Infect Control. 2015 May 1;43(5):424-34.
- Cleaning products and short-term respiratory effects among female cleaners with asthma. Vizcaya D, Mirabelli MC, ..., Zock JP. Occup Environ Med. 2015 Nov;72(11):757-63.
- Occupational exposures and uncontrolled adult-onset asthma in the ECRHS II. Le Moual N, Carsin AE, ..., Zock JP. Eur Respir J. 2014 Feb;43(2):374-86.
- Evaluation of the persistence of functional and biological respiratory health effects in clean-up workers 6 years after the Prestige oil spill. Zock JP, Rodríguez-Trigo G, et al. Environ Int. 2014 Jan;62:72-7.
- Asthma and exposure to cleaning products – An EAACI task force consensus statement. Siracusa A, De Blay F, ..., Zock JP. Allergy. 2013 Dec;68(12):1532-45.