Environmental epidemiologist specialised in water contaminants and health. Graduated in Environmental Sciences in 1998 and PhD in Environmental Epidemiology in 2003 by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB). After a post-doc at the National Institute of Health and Medical Research (INSERM) in Rennes (France), she has been a researcher at the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology (CREAL) - now ISGlobal Campus Mar- since 2006.
She coordinates the research on water contaminants and leads the Global assessment of exposure to trihalomethanes in drinking water and burden of disease, the working group on water exposures in the Multi Case Control Study (MCC)-Spain study and Infancia y Medio Ambiente (INMA) project, HELIX project, and is part of the research team in the EXPOSOMICS EU project. She has been lecturer of Environmental Epidemiology at the UAB from 2007 to 2013 to undergraduate students of Environmental Sciences, and to graduate students at the Master of Public Health (UPF-UAB). Currently she participates in the Environmental Health course at the Global Health Master (UB).
Lines of Research
Evaluation of the links between chemicals in water and health:
- Assess the exposure to water contaminants through drinking water and swimming pools, including disinfection by-products, nitrate and other.
- Evaluate the association with health effects such as cancer, reproductive outcomes, and child health.
- Understand the mechanism underlying these associations.
- Estimate the burden of disease attributed to chemicals in drinking water.
- Villanueva CM, Gracia-Lavedan E, Bosetti C, Righi E, Molina AJ, Martín V, Boldo E, Aragonés N, Pérez-Gómez B, Pollán M, Gómez Acebo I, Altzibar JM, Jiménez AM, Ardanaz E, Peiró R, Tardón A, Chirlaque MD, Tavani A, Polesel J, Serraino D, Pisa F, Castaño-Vinyals G, Ana Espinosa, Nadia Espejo-Herrera, Palau M, Moreno V, La Vecchia C, Aggazzotti G, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Kogevinas M. Colorectal Cancer and Long-term Exposure to Trihalomethanes in Drinking Water: a Multicenter Case-Control Study in Spain and Italy. Environ Health Perspect 2017; 125 (1): 56-65.
- Espejo-Herrera N, Gracia-Lavedan E, Pollan M, Aragones N, Boldo E, Perez-Gomez B, Altzibar JM, Amiano P, Jimenez AM, Ardanaz E, Guevara M, Molina AJ, Barrio JP, Gomez Acebo I, Tardon A, Peiro R, Chirlaque MD, Palau M, Munoz M, Font-Ribera L, Castano-Vinyals G, Kogevinas M, Villanueva CM. Ingested nitrate and breast cancer in the Spanish Multicase-Control study on Cancer (MCC-Spain). Environmental Health Perspectives 2016; 124(7):1042-1049.
- Villanueva CM, Kogevinas M, Cordier S, Templeton MR, Vermeulen R, Nuckols JR, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, and Levallois P. Assessing Exposure and Health Consequences of Chemicals in Drinking Water: Current State of Knowledge and Research Needs. Environmental Health Perspectives 2014; 122(3):213-221.
- Kogevinas M, Villanueva CM, Font-Ribera L, Liviac D, Bustamante M, Espinoza F, Nieuwenhuijsen MJ, Espinosa A, Fernandez P, DeMarini DM, Grimalt JO, Grummt T, Marcos R. Genotoxic effects in swimmers exposed to disinfection by-products in indoor swimming pools. Environmental Health Perspectives. 2010; 118 (11):1531–1537