Manolis Kogevinas is a senior researcher and he is currently the Scientific Director of the Severo Ochoa distinction at ISGlobal.
He graduated at the Medical School of Athens, Greece and did his PhD in Epidemiology at the University of London (1989). He worked at the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC/WHO), Lyon, at the Municipal Institute of Medical Research (IMIM) Barcelona and was co-Director of CREAL (Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology), Barcelona. He was Professor of Epidemiology at the Medical School, Heraklion, Greece, and at the National School of Public Health, Athens, Greece. He serves in several WHO and other expert committees and in EU research evaluation committees.
He has published more than 600 scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and has given numerous invited talks. He directed 14 Doctoral researchers and has mentored numerous other MPH, PhD and postdoc researchers. He was President of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE) 2016-2017 and was Director of the European Educational Programme in Epidemiology (EEPE), Florence.
In recent years he focused his research on the effects of circadian disruption on health conducting large case-control studies and also studies in molecular epidemiology and the exposome. He is committed to public health and is active in Europe and globally in the promotion of research in environmental epidemiology and translation of research findings into policy.
Lines of Research
- Circadian disruption
- Water pollution and health
- Child health
- Exposome and molecular epidemiology
- Kogevinas M, et al. (2007). Exposure to substances in the workplace and new-onset asthma: an international prospective population-based study (ECRHS-II). The Lancet. 370: 336-41.
- Papantoniou K, …, Kogevinas M. (2015). Night shift work, chronotype and prostate cancer risk in the MCC-Spain case-control study. Int J Cancer. 137(5):1147-57
- Chatzi L, …, Kogevinas M. (2017). Cohort Profile: The Mother-Child Cohort in Crete, Greece (Rhea Study). Int J Epidemiol. 46(5):1392-1393
- van Veldhoven K, …, Kogevinas M. (2018). Effects of exposure to water disinfection by-products in a swimming pool: A metabolome-wide association study. Environ Int. 111:60-70
- Kogevinas M, et al. (2018) Effect of mistimed eating patterns on breast and prostate cancer risk (MCC-Spain Study). Int J Cancer 143(10):2380-2389