DescripcióThe Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health. ISGlobal provides a hub of excellence dedicated to scientific research and the provision of health care. The institute, which originated in a joint initiative of the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona and the University of Barcelona, has amassed over 30 years of experience in the field of global health. The pivotal mechanism of its work model is the transfer of knowledge generated by scientific research to practice. Its ultimate goal is to help close the gaps in health disparities between and within different regions of the world.
What We are looking for
ISGlobal is seeking an experienced Project Administrator who is interested in managing the day-to-day operations of the project “An efficacy trial of the incremental mortality benefit of IPTi plus azithromycin” (IPTi-plus) in Sierra Leone. The overall project goal is to contribute to reduce infant mortality in areas of high mortality and malaria burden in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The five-year project, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and coordinated by ISGlobal, will evaluate the impact on childhood mortality of azithromycin (AZI) plus intermittent preventive treatment with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine (IPTi-SP) administered through the Expanded Program on Immunisation (EPI) in Sierra Leone.
The ISGlobal-led consortium includes ISGlobal, as lead research and principal recipient and responsible to BMGF for the implementation of the Project, and other local counterparts. The consortium will work closely with the Ministry of Health in Sierra Leone, the World Health Organization (WHO) as well as other stakeholders, to ensure that all project outputs are met.
The IPTI-plus project will generate evidence for change and expand access to chemoprevention for infants in sub Saharan Africa through the:
- Evaluation of the impact of azithromycin plus IPTi-SP administered through the Expanded Program on Immunization on all-cause mortality in young children living in areas of high mortality and malaria burden in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Evaluation of the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) as a delivery channel to ensure the long-term sustainability of interventions targeted to young children.
The ITPi-plus project will apply a community-based approach that fosters partnership and strengthens the dynamic link between communities and health facilities, especially for the most vulnerable people. A learning-driven approach will be employed throughout the project to generate sufficient evidence to inform WHO policy recommendations and future actions in Sierra Leone and similar sub-Saharan countries, in an effort to expand the intervention over the long-term.
ISGlobal is the lead evaluation and research organization and is responsible for implementing a set of studies to generate evidence for global guidance on IPTi-plus. Specifically, ISGlobal will be responsible for designing and implementing the project’s evaluation plan, as well as designing, analyzing and reporting the clinical and biological research studies to assess the efficacy and impact of the intervention (IPTi-plus), including an individually randomised placebo-controlled trial in infants and the feasibility of administering the intervention through the EPI scheme.
- Provide efficient logistical, project and financial administrative support to our Project team – spread over Spain and Sierra Leone – for the timely and quality implementation of the project, achievement of the established project objectives, meeting of milestones and deliverables production.
- Oversee the budget including identification of gaps and accurate and
- appropriate allocation and reporting
- Interact with implementing team in Sierra Leone and Project Management /
- Finance teams in Barcelona - Spain
- Provide support to the elaboration of progress reports, work plans and other
- documents as required by ISGlobal
- Other project related responsibilities as required
The Project Administrator will be working closely with the Sierra Leone In-Country Technical Coordinator, and the Project Manager. The postholder will be expected to:
1. Project Implementation and Monitoring
- Work with Project Director, Sierra Leone In-Country Technical Coordinator and Project Manager to ensure that all project activities are implemented according to project objectives and timelines
- Conduct follow-up supervision visits to project sites as required
2. General and Project Administration
- Ensure timely reporting internally
- Serve as the focal point for communication in Sierra Leone
- Ensure implementation and follow-up of agreed plans and actions
- Hire contractors and service providers in Sierra Leone
- Monitor contractual agreements
- Support to recruitment, training and supervision of new staff (as applicable)
- Organize and maintain copies of all appropriate project documentation
- When required, coordinate meetings (preparation and dissemination of
- meeting agendas, minutes and allocate actions)
- Assist with creation of Project Initiation Documents
- Keeping update on compliance regulations
- Assist with project travel arrangements if required
- Perform administrative duties
3. Financial Administration
- Acting as the link between the Project Management team and Finance team in Barcelona
- Update the project financial reports
- Process invoices
- Coordinate the local team’s input to project forecasting
- Assisting with time management and expenses against the project
- Manage budget and expenditure
- Monitoring of contracts and budgets
- Identify critical issues, needs and problems in resources / budget and recommend changes, when required
- Assure appropriate and timely allocation of resources necessary to achieveobjectives
- Assist with contingency plans/decision trees and reports
- University degree in business administration or related field.
- Having Project Management qualifications, certifications, or diplomas is an asset.
- Experience of controlling project budgets
- At least 5 years of project management experience in development, health or related field
- Experience working in low-middle income countries highly desirable;experience of working in Sierra Leona preferred
- Excellent management, project planning, and organizational skills
- Experience in procurement
- A very good command (advanced level) of the English language; working knowledge local languages is an asset; knowledge of Spanish and Catalan is a plus
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Outlook software or equivalent
- Ability to effectively work both as a team member and independently
- Ability to multitask, and work to agreed deadlines
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including experience of communicating effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences
- Fast learner, able to adapt to change quickly
- To have a genuine interest in Global Health, research and/or international development related issues.
- Full-time position, office-based in Sierra Leone
- Fixed-term contract for all project length (up to 60 months), starting in October 2019
- Salary according to the candidate profile and project budget
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com with the reference IPTi- plus_PA_SierraLeone.
Applications should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted. The closing date for receipt of applications is 15th October 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.