DescripcióThe Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health. ISGlobal provides a hub of excellence dedicated to scientific research and the provision of health care. The institute, which originated in a joint initiative of the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona and the University of Barcelona, has amassed over 30 years of experience in the field of global health. The pivotal mechanism of its work model is the transfer of knowledge generated by scientific research to practice. Its ultimate goal is to help close the gaps in health disparities between and within different regions of the world.
What We are looking for
- Evaluation of the impact of azithromycin plus IPTi-SP administered through the Expanded Program on Immunization on all-cause mortality in young children living in areas of high mortality and malaria burden in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Evaluation of the Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) as a delivery channel to ensure the long-term sustainability of interventions targeted to young children.
- Start and implement the above mentioned project in Sierra Leone
- Coordinate and oversee the daily activities of the project team in Sierra Leone
- Supervise data collection
- Coordinate, supervise and perform training activities with local counterparts as required
- Interact with local counterparts in Sierra Leone (MoH,..), and colleagues from ISGlobal and BMGF
- Support in the elaboration of progress reports, workplans and other documents as required by ISGlobal’s Coordinating team
- Prepare documents for different meetings and research conferences as required
- Participate in writing up of scientific manuscripts derived of the research activities
- Under the guidance of ISGlobal’s Coordinating team (Project Director (PD), Senior Advisor (SA).
- Based in Sierra Leone
- Full-time schedule and exclusive dedication
- Travel on a regular basis to the project sites within the country to coordinate and supervise the monitoring, evaluation and research activities of the project
- Interact with local project counterparts in Sierra Leone
- Prepare and present reports of the activities and field trips to the Project Director / Senior Advisor/
- Carry out any other duties that are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by ISGlobal Project Director /Senior Advisor
- Advanced University degree in biomedical sciences
- Master or PhD studies in Epidemiology or Public Health
- At least 5 years of experience of clinical research in low-income countries
- Verifiable experience in conducting community-based surveys
- Experience in managing a team
- Experience in managing and analyzing large data sets of clinical, laboratory, and field data
- A very good command (advanced level) of the English language
- Excellent writing ability in English to elaborate high-quality and concise technical reports. Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent ability of initiative, coordination and team work in multicultural environments, and of interaction with staff at the project country, with governmental organizations and NGOs
- Flexibility. Open to new ideas and new working methods, adapt positively to change, exchange views and opinions with colleagues. Able to work independently while understanding his/her own limits
- Oriented to train and transfer knowledge to biomedical staff in African contexts.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, STATA (or similar statistical packages), communication applications and Web technologies
- Ability to adapt to new environments, work effectively as part of the team and use own initiative when required
- To have a genuine interest in biomedical research of infectious diseases, capacity building and global development
- Full-time position, office-based in Sierra Leone
- Fixed-term contract for all project length (up to 60 months), starting in October 2019
- Salary according to the candidate profile and project budget
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a CV and a cover letter to: email@example.com with the reference IPTi- plus_TC_SierraLeone.
Applications should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted. The closing date for receipt of applications is 27th September 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.