ISGlobal is a cutting-edge institution with capacity to address global health challenges through research, translation and education. ISGlobal has an ambitious vision of being a world class centre in research, translation and education in Global Public Health working towards a world in which all people can enjoy health and is committed to improve global health and promote health equity. ISGlobal is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
Outreach Department - Unit of Scientific Culture and Innovation (UCC+i)
Our Outreach Department is recognized as a Unit of Scientific Culture and Innovation (UCC+i), working on scientific dissemination based on the results of the lines of research generated at our center. Our aim is to provide information to citizens to promote equity in health and scientific knowledge, publicizing the research hosted by the center, and fostering the interest, knowledge and scientific culture of our society.
The UCC + i has been established and stabilized in parallel with ISGlobal research excellence, in order to secure the connection of this research with society, and to expand the outreach resources of the institute, making them accessible to citizens, from students, education professionals, to adult population. We work using formal and non-formal methodologies of scientific education, in order to ensure the adaptation of knowledge and transfer methods that can engage society.
Our Outreach Department belongs to FECYT (Spanish Foundation of Science and Technology) network and, together with the whole Institute, has received the Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence Accreditation, in addition to external support through various international initiatives and commissions.
The Outreach Department is looking for an enthusiastic, organized and autonomous student who is interested in applying for an internship to be opened throughout the year, in the context of scientific outreach (citizen science, participatory science, science and art), to develop and support ongoing projects of the unit, as well as propose new projects to tackle all research lines of our institute.
The internship Programme
This programme offers advanced training in a broad range of fields including cross-cutting issues from all research lines at ISGlobal: Antimicrobial resistance, Chagas, Malaria, Urban health, Motherhood health and Radiation. Our UCC+i is currently implementing projects on most of these lines, and therefore ensuring the development of scientific contextualization of our programmes, oral and written Science Communication; Outreach writing and team-playing skills.
The outreach internship programme by ISGlobal will be supervised by Raül Toran, head of the Outreach Department, ensuring a proper guidance, assessment and evaluation of the progress of the student, together with the UCC+i team.
According to the length of the internship, personal projects on the area of scientific outreach and citizen science will be welcome to be developed within our framework.
You can find more information at: https://www.isglobal.org/research-programmes
Main duties and tasks
Environmental education, health education, support and development of activities on scientific outreach.
(1) BiblioLab: project on air pollution, air quality, noise and development of activities and artistic events (drawings, design, exposure to green areas and measurement of stress levels, noise recording and blind exhibition). Need to support to the outreach team in conducting workshops in municipalities around Barcelona Province. Writing of project posts and entries for the Health Is Global Blog
(2) Park(ing) Day Barcelona: Help the coordination and logistics of Park (ing) Day Barcelona 2020. Search and define profiles of missing entities to participate in 2020. Proposal of other events for the interested platform. Writing of project posts and entries for the Health Is Global Blog.
(3) Citizen Science monitoring: Writing of project posts and entries for the Health Is Global Blog, as a follow up of our ongoing international Citizen Science projects.
(4) Support for other tasks of the UCC+i: Help in the drafting of European projects on citizen participation, citizen science and scientific dissemination (2020). Participation in EscoLab workshops. Participation in new projects to be approved (field of art and science, science and gender, etc.)
Training and Experience / Minimum requirements
- Applications are invited from students coursing the Master on Scientific Communication of UPF or UVic, or coursing an equivalent Master’s degree. Excellent level of spoken and written English (please note: understanding Catalan is required, and excellent level of spoken and written Spanish as well), and high level of motivation.
- Degree in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology or similar areas.
- Good English level
- Self-motivation, eagerness to grow professionally and commitment to self-development
- Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationship with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Computer skills (Windows, Microsoft Office, Statistics and BioInformatics) are also of value.
If You are interested in applying for this job position, please, fill in this form and attach your CV. You will have to enter the following Position Reference Code: outreach_internship_ISGlobal.
Candidates may be selected throughout the posting period, on an "as-needed" basis.