The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
The Manhiça Health Research Center (CISM) has among its fundamental activities the development of research on those diseases that most affect the population of Manhiça. On a continuous basis, new research projects in the areas of infectious diseases (malaria, tuberculosis, HIV, acute respiratory diseases, etc ...) have been funded to be carried out and led since Manhiça. In some cases, these projects have a high clinical component that require the researchers who lead them to be clinicians, preferably pediatricians.
Among its fundamental activities, CISM also provides support to the Manhiça District Hospital, the Manhiça Health Center, and health in your study area. These assistance activities are coordinated by the CISM Clinic Department. Essentially, these assistance activities are in the scope of pediatrics, but CISM is also giving specific support to adults.
About this project
PreFIT aims to validate assays for improved prediction of progression from latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) to active tuberculosis (TB) disease. Assays with high positive predictive value (PPV) for progression to TB disease have great potential for reducing TB morbidity and mortality in Africa by allowing scale-up of preventive treatment, which is becoming possible with shorter, safer preventive treatment regimens. PreFIT will achieve high PPV for progression to TB disease with a package of assays that diagnose incipient TB, a stage of LTBI progressing towards disease that can be halted with preventive treatment. These assays test for specific messenger RNA, C-reactive protein and hemoglobin on field-friendly platforms. PreFIT will take the next step in development of these novel and existing assays by validating them prospectively at point-of-care for their clinical performance, feasibility and cost in a cohort of TB-exposed household contacts. These contacts will be followed for 12 months for progression to TB disease, and we will compare test results among participants who do, versus participants who don’t progress to TB disease. In addition, PreFIT will validate iron homeostasis markers retrospectively on the samples collected in the cohort. Robust plans will ensure assay uptake and capacity building.
The consortium includes: Stichting Amsterdam Institute for Global Health and Development (AIGHD); Manhiça Health Research Centre (CSIM), Mozambique; Stellenbosch University, South Africa; Makerere University, Uganda; Fundación Privada Instituto de Salud Global Barcelona (ISGlobal), Spain; Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics (FIND), Switzerland
What we are looking for
Training and experience /Qualifications
- Masters or PhD in epidemiology/public health/infectious diseases with knowledge of TB laboratory methods (we expect undergraduate degree holders in Biology, Microbiology, Medicine, Pharmacy, Biotechnology). Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers who have documented experience in research methods and laboratory methods.
- Experience developing algorithms or building data solutions, and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources will be an asset.
- Experience of analyzing clinical/healthcare data.
- Be willing to work in an interdisciplinary team within a highly collaborative research institute
- Be fluent in spoken and written English
- Be willing to apply to individual fellowships, which will contribute to strengthen ISGLobal’s TB research portfolio.
- Coordinate overall study procedures in the field and ensure adherence to protocol of all study staff.
- Supervise laboratory procedures of the project.
- Carry out high-quality research independently and propose new studies.
- Help develop robust training sessions and data infrastructure to support collaborative related projects at ISGlobal/CISM
- Publish research results in scientific journals and in national and international conferences.
- Collaborate in any other activities of the research center (meetings, clinical or laboratory sessions, journal clubs, etc.), as per agreement with the direct supervisor.
The head of the Group has the responsibility to define the tasks and responsibilities to be developed and to supervise them.
Other general aspects
Assistance activities can only be carried out after authorization by the Minister and the Order of Doctors of Mozambique.
- Problem resolution
- Learning capacity
- Spanish (equivalent to level C)
- English (equivalent to proficiency)
- Portuguese (this will be valued as a positive asset)
- Duration: 2 years with possibility of annual prorogation
- Starting date: Immediately
- Contract: Full time
- Salary Range: Following ISGlobal salary scales
- During the crisis caused by COVID19, standard working conditions will be adapted to sanitary requirements.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Research Fellow TB_PreFIT_Sep21, attach the CV and a Cover Letter.
Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 15/10/2021
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.