The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a Research Technician who is interested in supporting the Clean Cities project funded by European Climate Foundation (ECF) with the grant agreement reference number G-2303-65810. The overall project aim is to consolidate and translate the evidence related to air pollution, school environments and health to stakeholders to generate impact for Clean Cities Campaign nationally and within Europe. ISGlobal has identified a strategic opportunity to build synergies within the Clean Cities activities programmed for the next several years focusing on school environments. Project objectives are to: 1. extend our current work to include more cities and stakeholders in Spain by using existing networks more effectively to share experiences, resources, and practices and facilitate replication of activities among cities; 2. reach diverse public administrations since competencies regarding mobility and urbanism are shared among different sectors by raising awareness and influence public administrations (municipalities, regional governments, etc) to approve policies regulations that promote healthy and safe school environments; and 3. analyze the collected data from ten Spanish municipalities who have already completed the Entornos Escolares self-evaluation to provide a feed-back and to include the assessment of objective indicators of the school environments, applying GIS-based indicators (e.g. air pollution levels, green spaces, walkability, etc).
The UPEH currently has multiple research projects, that examine how to improve health through interventions in schools around Barcelona and through development of tools, and translation of scientific evidence for diverse audiences. The Research Technicinan will support the Clean Cities project through diverse activities, working closely with project leaders.
- Urban Health
Training and experience /Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in social or biological sciences
- Graduate training in public health or related field is valued
- Previous experience in research, such as literature reviews and health communication
- Experience working in policy is valued
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to travel to within Spain
- High level of English and Spanish are required
- Familiarity with Microsoft office software, data analysis skills are valued
- Support all aspects of the Clean Cities project
- Work with project coordinators to ensure timely accomplishment of project´s objectives and deliverables
- Lead a literature review on environmental exposures in children, school environments and health impacts
- Work with the project leaders and communication team to create translation and policy material (written and graphic) based on the literature review
- Prepare written material related to the project, ie reports
- Collaborate in a participatory process with selected Spanish cities to evaluate and improve the Entornos Escolares website
- Provide administrative support to the project
- Attend meetings related to the clean cities project and take minutes as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Problem solving
- Capacity and motivation to learn
High level of English and Spanish are requireD
- Duration: 9 months
- Starting date: October 2023
- Contract: Full time
- Salary Range: Technic II B
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: ResearchTechnician_CleanCitiesProject_Sep23, attach the CV. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 30th of September 2023.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews can be conducted during the application process period.