The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the result of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
STOP (Stopping Transmission Of intestinal Parasites) is an EDCTP-funded project that unites five European and three sub-Saharan institutions with one aim: to find a more effective treatment against soil-transmitted helminths. The consortium’s main objective is to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a fixed-dose co-formulation of albendazole and ivermectin in a phase II / III adaptive clinical trial.
ISGlobal is looking for a research physician preferably with expertise in clinical research for a position at the Barcelona Institute for Global Health, in Barcelona (Spain) with total availability to travel or change of residence. The medical doctor will lead the activities in the clinical research development plan towards the interruption of transmission of soil-transmitted helminths under the PI-ship of Jose Muñoz. Furthermore, the candidate will engage in the application and procurement of grants, design and conduct of neglected tropical diseases related research activities, summarize findings and publish results in research journals; assume general responsibility for scientific leadership of the team; provide supervision and guidance to junior researchers.
Main duties and tasks
- To oversee and conduct the approved adaptive clinical trial protocol of the STOP project at the Manhiça Health Research Centre (Centro de Investigação em Saúde de Manhiça, CISM) according to the protocol and all applicable regulations.
- Engage in design and development of clinical studies (epidemiologic and clinical trials) in the area of Soil Transmitted Helminthiasis.
- Perform participant recruitment and enrolment in clinical trials and delegated tasks as study physician.
- Ensure all study procedures are carried out with quality and in accordance with good clinical practices, with emphasis on the clinical management of patients, including diagnostic, preventive and treatment tasks for study participants and in patients of the District Hospital and the Primary Health Center of Manhiça.
- Responsible for protecting the rights, safety and welfare of participants under their care.
- Identification, follow up and report of adverse events and serious adverse events that occur in clinical trials.
- Ensure the correct collection of data according to the specifications of standard operating procedures and study protocols.
- Participate in the analysis and writing of scientific articles under the supervision of the principal investigator.
- Review and evaluate protocols and provide clinical and scientific support.
- Interact with regulatory bodies as is relevant to clinical operations.
- Present protocols to ethics committees and regulatory bodies, as required.
- Contribute to medical care with local doctors in Manhiça Hospital.
- Design and implement research protocols
- Participate in the application and procurement of grants
- Supervise other personnel in the team to coordinate research efforts for increased efficiency; participate in training of fellows, residents, students and volunteer workers as needed.
- Search pertinent scientific literature as needed
Experience and training
- Medical Doctor with expertise in epidemiology, neglected tropical diseases, public health or related fields. Additional profiles will be considered if highly motivated researchers in other related disciplines decide to apply.
- Have a completed PhD or keen interest to obtain a PhD
- Demonstrated experience in research studies
- Previous experience in clinical trials will be highly evaluated
- Proven ability to manage teams and leadership
- Experience and knowledge on issues related to Global Health will be valued
- Experience with Soil Transmitted Helminths and Neglected Tropical Diseases will be strongly valued
- Experience in the preparation of research studies
- Certificate of Good Clinical Practices
- Previous experience working as physician in African research centres will be positively evaluated
- Fluent in English
- Spanish and Portuguese proficiency will be highly valued.
- Availability to live in Mozambique during the trial period (expected 1-2 years).
- The position is for a period of 2 years.
- The conditions will be agreed according to training and experience.
- Immediate incorporation.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: MedicalDoctor_STOP_Jul20 attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until August the 30th 2020.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.