DescripciónThe Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health. ISGlobal provides a hub of excellence dedicated to scientific research and the provision of health care. The institute, which originated in a joint initiative of the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona and the University of Barcelona, has amassed over 30 years of experience in the field of global health. The pivotal mechanism of its work model is the transfer of knowledge generated by scientific research to practice, a task undertaken by the Research, Training and Policy and Global Development departments. Its ultimate goal is to help close the gaps in health disparities between and within different regions of the world.
What We Are Looking for
About The Project
The five-year project, funded by BMGF, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and coordinated by ISGlobal, the Barcelona Institute for Global Health, will evaluate the impact on childhood mortality of azithromycin (AZI) plus intermittent preventive treatment
The ISGlobal-led consortium includes ISGlobal, as lead research and principal recipient and responsible to BMGF for the implementation of the Project and other local counterparts. The consortium will work closely with the Ministries of Health in Sierra Leone and Mozambique, the World Health Organization (WHO) as well as other stakeholders, to ensure that all project outputs are met.
IPTI-plus will generate evidence for change and expand access to preventive chemotherapy for infants in sub Saharan Africa through the:
1. Evaluation of the impact of azithromycin, plus intermittent preventive treatment with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine administered through the Expanded Program on Immunisation on all-cause mortality in young children living in areas of high mortality and malaria burden in Sub-Saharan Africa.
2. Evaluation of the Expanded Program on Immunisation (EPI) as a delivery channel to ensure the long-term sustainability of interventions targeted to young children, and specifically IPTi, a safe, efficacious and cost-effective intervention recommended by WHO.
ITPi-plus will apply a community-based approach that fosters partnership and strengthens the dynamic link between communities and health facilities, especially for the most vulnerable people. A learning-driven approach will be employed throughout the project to generate sufficient evidence to inform WHO policy recommendations and future actions in each country, in an effort to expand the intervention over the long-term.
ISGlobal is the lead evaluation and research organization and is responsible for implementing a set of studies to generate evidence for global guidance on IPTi-plus. Specifically, ISGlobal will be responsible for designing and implementing the project’s evaluation plan, as well as designing, analyzing and reporting the clinical and operational research studies to assess the efficacy and impact of the intervention (IPTi-plus), including an individually randomised placebo-controlled trial in infants exposed to malaria and high mortality burden, and the feasibility of the intervention (IPTi) through the EPI.
- Ensure timely and quality implementation of the project, achievement of the established project objectives, meeting of milestones and deliverables production.
- Oversee the budget including identification of gaps and accurate and appropriate allocation and reporting.
- Coordinate communication with project partners, donors and external collaborators.
- Interact with implementing team in the project countries.
- Coordinate and supervise activities with local counterparts as required.
- Preparation of supporting documents for different meetings and research conferences.
- Provide support to the elaboration of progress reports, work plans and other documents as required by ISGlobal.
- Report activities of the BMGF project grant.
- Other project related responsibilities as required.
Under the guidance of the Project Director (PD) and the Technical coordinator (TC) the candidate will be expected to:
1. Program Implementation and Monitoring:
- Ensure that all project activities are implemented according to project objectives and timelines.
- Work with PD and TC to ensure definition of objectives and the setting of priorities.
- Provide technical support and capacity building to partner sites during field visits and through follow-up supervision.
- Responsible for setting agenda (with TC) for team meetings, ensuring follow-up of key actions, and writing reports.
- Delegate specific tasks as appropriate.
- Monitor the project progress and ensure timely decision making.
2. Coordination and Representation:
- Ensure timely reporting internally and to donors.
- Serve as the focal point for internal and external communication.
- Ensure appropriate dissemination of information needed to carry out the project to donors and external counterparts.
- Ensure implementation and follow-up of agreed plans and actions.
- Monitor contractual agreements.
- Recruitment, training and supervision of new staff (as applicable)
- Organize and maintain copies of all appropriate project documentation.
- Preparation and dissemination of meeting agendas, minutes and reports.
- Oversee budget management and procurement.
- Assist in the monitoring of contracts and budgets.
- Identify critical issues, needs and problems in resources / budget.
- Assure appropriate and timely allocation of resources necessary to achieve objectives.
- Prepare contingency plans/decision trees and reports.
- University degree in medicine, public health, biology, biomedical science or related field.
- At least 5 years of project management experience in health or related field
- Knowledge of basic epidemiology and infectious disease research
- Experience working in low-middle income countries highly desirable
- Excellent management, project planning, and organizational skills
- Experience in training and supervising staff
- A very good command (advanced level) of the English language; working knowledge (intermediate level) of Portuguese is an asset
- Knowledge of Spanish and Catalan is a plus
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Outlook software or equivalent
- Ability to effectively work both as a team member and independently
- Experience working international environments is preferred
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- To have a genuine interest in biomedical research of infectious diseases, capacity building and global development
- Full-time position, office-based in Barcelona
- Fixed-term contract for all project length (about 60 months), starting in June 2019
- Salary according to the candidate profile and project budget.
How to Apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and attached the relevant documents including the following reference: PM_IPTI-Plus_ June19. Each attached document must include the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until June, 23nd 2019.
Applications should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.