The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in the following main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Maternal, Child and reproductive Health, Urban Health and Child and environmental health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is looking for a motivated predoctoral researcher to work on the P4COPD project (Prediction, Prevention, Personalized and Precision management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in young adults). P4COPD has received funding from the Instituto de Salud Carlos III. The predoctoral researcher will work on exploring the environmental/lifestyle determinants of low lung function and COPD in children, young adults, and older individuals. The PhD candidate will also co-coordinate the new visit of young adults of the birth cohort INMA (INfancia y Medio Ambiente) in Sabadell and Menorca. INMA is a large birth cohort study that started more than 20 years ago in different Spanish settings (www.proyectoinma.org). The successful applicant will be supervised by Non-Communicable Diseases and Environment Programme Head Dr Judith Garcia-Aymerich, Research Professor, and Childhood and Environment Programme principal investigator Dr Maribel Casas, Assistant Research Professor.
Main duties and tasks
- Prepare the research protocols for the study, including the design of questionnaires and other data collection tools.
- Participate in the fieldwork conducted in Sabadell and Menorca.
- Participate in cleaning the data
- Preparing datasets and statistical analysis plan.
- Perform statistical analysis to address the epidemiological research questions.
- Write scientific papers describing the results leading to a doctoral thesis.
- Participate in project meetings and present project results in scientific conferences.
- Master in Public Health, Epidemiology, Environmental Sciences, Statistics or similar areas.
- Statistical analysis skills are also of value.
- Self-motivation, eagerness to grow professionally and commitment to self-development
- Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationship with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Eager to learn and proactive.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Responsible, flexible and with problem solving skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Team player, yet capable of working autonomously, rational thinker.
- Spanish and Catalan.
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken).
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Predoc_P4COPD_Sep22, attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 06/10/2022
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.