The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
What We Are Looking for
We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher to join our young, dynamic team in child-health and environmental research through fellowship application (https://fundacionlacaixa.org/ca/beques-postdoctorat-junior-leader-incoming). This fellowship has two modalities, incoming or retaining, with different requirements (see details below in the fellowship requirements section).
The researcher will be involved in a birth cohort study, the BiSC project. This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Grant Agreement number 785994 and by the Health Effects Institute (project FRONTIER). In BiSC we have assessed prenatal exposure to several number of environmental aspects (including air pollution and noise) and behavioral/lifestyle of pregnant women with the aim of evaluating their effects on health outcomes of their offspring (particularly focused on birth outcomes and child neurodevelopment, further information at https://www.projectebisc.org/).
The position will involve conducting statistical analysis in the cohort dataset to evaluate associations between an environmental exposure (e.g. air pollution, noise) and a health outcome (e.g. child neurodevelopment at 8 months) and drafting publications, among other research tasks.
Fellowship requirements / conditions
- Any nationality is welcome.
- Candidate must have obtained their doctoral degree [date of defense] between 7th October 2019 and 7th October 2014 (inclusive). [Extension of these dates apply in case of illness or maternity/paternity].
- A 3 to 6-month international secondment is mandatory during the postdoc.
Please refer to the La Caixa website for more details.
- Candidates must have resided or worked in Spain for more than twelve months between 7th October 2018 and 7th October 2021.
- Candidates must have carried out a research stay at a non-Spanish research centre during their doctorate or postdoctorate for at least 6 months (could be in discontinued periods).
- Incoming fellowship:
- Candidates cannot have resided or worked in Spain for more than twelve months between 7th October 2018 and 7th October 2021 [short stays are considered as time in their country of usual residence].
Job duties and tasks
- Conduct epidemiologic statistical analyses
- Draft original articles for publication in high impact journals
- Disseminate findings at conferences, workshops, scientific journals, and other channels
Skills and experience
- PhD (or equivalent) in epidemiology, environmental health, biostatistics or related discipline
- Demonstrated record of scientific achievement in epidemiology or environmental health
- Experience with statistical analysis and managing data in R
- Keen interest in environmental exposure and child health research
- Motivated researcher capable of setting and meeting deadlines and delivering research outputs to the required standard
- Strong organization and team-working skills
- Professional attitude with attention to details
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
- Team player, yet capable of working autonomously, rational and critical thinker
- Duration: 3 years
- Dedication: Full time
- Starting date: May 2022
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Postdoc_JL_Sep21, attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 30th September 2021.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.