The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
The project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 956780.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is looking for a health impact assessment modeller who will help with the quantitative analysis of a few datasets and learn and apply health impact assessment as part of the SURREAL training network. The project aims to conduct health impact assessment in various cities. The objective is to assess benefits, risks and costs of urban and transport scenarios in cities.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
The HIA PhD position at ISGlobal
The project will conduct Health impact assessment of urban and transport developments in Barcelona, Paris and Utrecht. The tasks are: 1) To estimate the health impacts of new urban and transport planning developments in Barcelona, Paris and Utrecht; 2) To provide cost benefit analyses; 3) To conduct knowledge translation. The work will extend the UTOPHIA tool (Urban and TranspOrt Planning Health Impact Assessment tool). The work will provide 1) the (inequality in) number of premature deaths, morbidity, disability adjusted life years (DALYs) and life expectancy of new urban developments in Barcelona, Paris and Utrecht; 2) Cost benefit analyses for different policy scenarios based on the best available data; 3) Stakeholder consultation and knowledge translation material including health impact assessment tools, stakeholder consultation material and case study results.
There will be 2 planned secondments: 1) EMC, Rotterdam to advance understanding of social inequality issues (M10-12); 2) ATM, Barcelona to understand urban management in practice (M18-20).
Main duties and tasks
- Strong motivation to engage in interdisciplinary and intersectoral network wide training activities
- Willingness to participate in two internships
- Willingness to participate in network-wide training events, dissemination and engaging activities
- Strong skills in English, written as well as oral
- Degree in public health or equivalent
- Experience in health impact assessment
- Skills in writing and reporting
- Good organisational skills
- Good communications skills
- Can work in groups
Training and experience
- Experience on the analysis of quantitative data and health impact assessment.
- A 12 months full-time appointment (40h/week) to be extended with a further 24 months (for a total of 3 years) contingent on a satisfactory performance during the first period.
- An exciting, multi-disciplinary and international research environment with ample opportunities for exchange with scholars from related disciplines at the universities and research institutes in the consortium, as well as with the local partner organizations and local stakeholders.
- A creative, entrepreneurial, innovative and holistic training environment consisting of :
- Individual Research Projects (IRP), providing excellent supervision and mentoring with academics and non-academics;
Structured local training programs, comprising specific training courses in research-related skills and well as training in complementary skills, offered on the basis of a Personal Career Development Plan;
- Network-wide activities, i.c. 3 Network Schools, in Utrecht, Paris and Barcelona;
- Secondments, i.c. at least two inter-sectoral secondments to participants within the SURREAL Network;
- Collaborative learning in practice (CLiP), allowing to engage continuously with and learn from working in real urban health intervention situations;
- Career development modules, i.c. the use of Vitae Researcher Development Framework (RDF) and how to effectively employ the RDF Planner as basis for a Personal Career Development Plan (PCDP).
- Additional training and networking opportunities through participation in international conferences.
The following documents are required:
- Letter of motivation.
- A note suggesting specific research questions related to the project's theme (1/2 A4)
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Copy of highest diploma. The minimum requirement is a diploma qualifying for doctoral studies in the recruiting country (e.g. Master degree). Students in their last year may apply but can only be recruited upon successful graduation.
- Contact details of two referees (no recommendation letter).
- Writing sample (e.g. student’s paper or chapter thesis) preferably in English.
- Passport copy.
- Duration: 3 years with annual renewal,
- Contract: fulltime,
- Starting date: September 1, 2021.
- Not have resided in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date;
- Not have carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date;
- Be — at the date of recruitment — an ‘early stage researcher’ (i.e. in the first four years of his/her research career and not have a doctoral degree). Only the time spent as full time equivalent research experience is considered, and is measured from the date when the researcher obtained the degree entitling him/her to embark on a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the researcher is recruited or from where he/she is seconded) – even if a doctorate was never started or envisaged. Note that time enrolled in formal taught classes is not counted as research experience.
How to apply
Applicants must send all required documents as attached documents thought this form, with the subject heading PhD_HIA-SURREAL_Feb21. The closing date for the receipt of applications will be open until 7th May.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.