The Malaria Eradication Scientific Alliance (MESA) is an inclusive and collaborative consortium of malaria research, policy, and implementation partners dedicated to advancing the science of malaria eradication. First launched in 2012 with the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), MESA is based on the concept that an optimized, funded, and evolving malaria elimination and eradication research agenda is critical for the long-term goals of global eradication. The alliance is hosted by the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal), and focused on developing innovative, strategic, and evidence-based solutions for countries and regions to control and eliminate malaria.
From its initiation, MESA has had strong working partnership with the WHO Global Malaria Programme and in 2013, ISGlobal was designated a WHO Collaborating Center for Malaria Control, Elimination and Eradication. One of MESA's key functions is working with the WHO Global Malaria Programme to support the translation of research to policy recommendations.
The MESA Scientific Officer will lead the technical work organised in three main areas: a) management and sharing of information and emerging evidence; b) collaboration and coordination of the research agenda; and c) effective and timely translation of learning into policy and practice.
What we are looking for
Description of role and responsibilities
- Develop MESA’s strategic workplan for the translation of research to policy recommendations for 2020.
- Develop and publish evidence reviews on malaria topics of relevance to WHO policy development processes. The reviews will systematically examine the available evidence and determine what additional evidence needs to be generated to drive policy making.
- Supervise the technical work of the MESA team members.
- Present the work at various international fora.
- At least 10 years working in global health
- Publishing peer-reviewed publications
- Managing staff
- Collaboration experience with WHO or other policy making bodies
- This position is based in Barcelona, Spain at ISGlobal.
- The MESA Scientific Officer will report to the Director of the ISGlobal Malaria Elimination Initiative.
- The role will require regional and international travel.
- Compensation for this position will be based on the applicant’s experience and qualifications. This position starts immediately.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form including the following reference: MESA_Scientific Officer_August 19. Applications will be accepted until August the 31st, 2019.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Please send a CV and a cover letter referring to Scientific Officer MESA to email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.