The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in five programs: Climate, Air Pollution, Nature and Urban Health; Environment and Health over the Lifecourse; Global Viral and Bacterial Infections; Malaria and Neglected Parasitic Diseases and Maternal Child and Reproductive Health. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a researcher who is interested in providing support in analyzing and interpreting the data produced by the projects FIS 2020 “Genomic characterization of vulvar squamous cell carcinomas and its precursor lesions” and FIS 2023 “Gene expression profiles of the three subtypes of vulvar cancer”. The overall goal of these projects is to explore the genomic and transcriptomic background of this type of cancer, which remains poorly characterized at the molecular level.
The team is composed of two pathologists, one pathology technician and one gynecologist, all with shared dedication between hospital duties and research, and one program manager, based at ISGlobal.
- Biological sciences
- Computer science
- Medical sciences
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE /QUALIFICATIONS:
- PhD in Translational Medicine, Biology, Biomedicine or related discipline.
- Experience in producing high-quality scientific papers and reports.
- Advanced skills in R software and statistics- capacity to manage and analyze complex data using adequate packages (essential).
- Advanced bioinformatic skills-capacity to filter and analyze large datasets of genomic and transcriptomic data in combination with clinical data and to interpret integrated results (essential).
- Previous research expertise in analyzing exome sequencing and/or gene expression data (desirable but not essential).
- High level of enthusiasm and motivation; passion for research in cancer (particularly a rare and neglected one)! (essential)
The main tasks will be thorough analysis of data and design and writing of scientific content (structured text, tables and graphs). The candidate will be responsible for analyzing, interpreting the data and writing the resulting reports and manuscripts, in collaboration with other members of the team. Strong motivation and passion in exploring this particularly untouched field of the research are essential.
- Conducting thorough bioinformatic/statistical analysis related to the project/s.
- Drafting original articles and preparing high-quality tables and graphs for publication in high-quality journals.
- Drafting a strong point-by-point responses to reviewer’s comments.
- Disseminating findings at high-level conferences and seminars.
- Contribution to scientific report preparation
- Support in maintaining the online study database/s.
- Collaboration with the study teams and external specialists.
- This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may evolve at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is appropriate consultation with the post-holder.
This job description is not a definitive or exhaustive list of responsibilities but identifies the key responsibilities and tasks of the post holder. The specific objectives of the post holder will be subject to review as part of the individual professional asessment process .
- Excellent self-organization and communication skills, as part of the team composed of professionals working in different locations (Pathology Department of Hospital Clinic and ISGlobal).
- Demonstrated track record of achievement.
- Strong capacity to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Capacity to work under significant time pressure, delivering high-quality results on time (even when the deadlines seem challenging).
- Problem resolution skills (in a context of challenging project).
- Learning and teaching capacity.
The post holder will adhere to ISGlobal principles contained in People management policy, including Equity, diversity and health safety. The post holder will respect, and accountable to ensure ISGlobal policies and procedures.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Duration: 6 months
- Starting date: 1 of February 2024
- Contract: full time
- Salary Range: Postdoc D
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: MRF_FIS_Dec23 , attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until the position is filled.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.
Diverse candidatures are encouraged, that includes: gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, physical abilities, and political views.
The selection process is designed in two phases:
1- Interview phase of a technical nature, with the team that requires the incorporation. To assess the person's skills and CV.
2 - Meeting with HR with the finalist(s) to finish assessing the profile and discuss contractual and institutional issues.
If needed any technical test could be pass. A Psychological Competency Evaluation Test will be required for the structural or transversal positions.
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a gender-balanced recruitment panel is formed for every vacancy at the beginning of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the panel will start the interviews, with at least one technical and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, gender, marital status, race, ethnicity, functional diversity, political leanings, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
ISGlobal supports the initiative #ScienceforUkraine. Therefore, to sustain Ukraine’s presence in the European Research Area and international scholarly community, candidates from Ukraine on all levels of scholarly career are welcome: students, PhD candidates, early career researchers and senior scholars.
We confirm our commitment towards the value of the diversity of our staff and student population and seek to promote peace, equity, diversity and inclusion as essential elements in contribution to improving health worldwide.