The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a talented laboratory technician who is experienced in the use of molecular assays, mainly immunoassays (quantitative suspension array [Luminex] technology) and genetic assays (next generation sequencing) to describe the malaria and COVID19 epidemiology and natural history in Mozambique. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and applying molecular assays for the detection of biomarkers of exposure to the parasite (antibodies and antigens) and the target sequencing of malaria parasites. The overall aim is to advance the goal of malaria eradication through the identification of key drivers of malaria transmission using innovative genomic and analytical tools. The project will be conducted by the Malaria Physiology group at ISGlobal, in collaboration with the Manhiça Health research Center (Mozambique), the University of California-San Francisco and the Institute of Disease Modelling (USA). The lab technician will be also involved in a project of SARS-CoV-2 serosurveillance in Mozambique.
- Biological sciences
- Graduate in Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology or similar areas.
- Experience in immunoassays (Luminex) and next generation sequencing
- Availability to travel to Mozambique & USA for training purposes.
- 3-5 years of experience in the assays to be used in the project
- Demonstrated knowledge of experimental design
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
- Ability to collaborate with the team and translate existing research into practical solutions and products.
- Drive project execution and implement a robust plan for measuring success.
• Develop and validate a SARS-CoV-2 immunoassay to be applied in Mozambique by the team at the Manhiça Health Research Center
• Provide day-to-day support to the team in Mozambique for training purposes
• Develop standard operative procedures following GCP/GLP
• Provide molecular support to the team in other research projects.
• Targeted sequencing of malaria parasites from Mozambique
• Transcriptional analysis of malaria parasites using qRT-PCR and other platforms
• Publication curation and entry into databases.
• Interact with the research team in Mozambique & USA for training and harmonization purposes.
• Organize and manage the sample biobank
• Additional technical duties as assigned.
• Drive and determination.
• Desire to learn.
• Focus and discipline.
• Respects and embraces diversity of perspective.
• Enjoy solving problems; inquisitive and analytical; engaged and motivated.
• Able to work both independently and as part of a larger team.
• Ability to see the big picture and work towards that goal.
• Ability to build and manage relationships with various collaborators across and outside the company.
- English and Portuguese is a plus.
- Duration: 1 year (extendable depending on the performance)
- Starting date: March-April 2021
- Contract: Full time
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: LabTech_Malaria_Dec20 attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 15th February 2021
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings, religion or sexual orientation.