The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry, being the first global public health centre to receive this recognition.
What We Are Looking for:
Job duties and tasks
- Transfer and manage data from the EXPANSE cohorts.
- Carry out cleaning, quality control, and documentation of databases used.
- GIS and Remote Sensing data collection, integration and processing, using GIS Desktop software (ArcGIS, QGIS) as well as Spatial Databases (PostGIS, Spatialite, etc.)
- Development of new environmental indicators combining standard and new methods.
- Development of efficient Python-based workflows to process spatial data.
- Maintain close contacts with the national and international research teams.
Skills and experience
Higher education in geography, GIS, or related topics, preferable Master/Course in GIS or related technologies (Spatial Databases, Relational Database Management Systems, Spatial Analysis, Programming)
- Familiar with ArcGIS and/or QGIS, Python and/or R for spatial and statistical analysis, SQL Spatial and Remote Sensing
- Strong programming skills (R/Python)
- Previous experience in processing and managing of complex spatial data and large datasets
- Ideally, having experience in environmental exposure assessment, especially with regards to the built environment
- Motivated technician capable of setting and meeting deadlines and delivering research outputs to the required standard
- Strong organization and team-working skills
- Professional attitude with attention to details
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
- Team player, yet capable of working autonomously, rational and critical thinker
- Duration: 12 months (renewable)
- Starting date:July 2020
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: GISTech_EXPANSE_H2020 attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is June 30th 2020.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.