The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health. ISGlobal provides a hub of excellence dedicated to scientific research and the provision of health care. The institute, which originated in a joint initiative of the Hospital Clínic de Barcelona and the University of Barcelona, has amassed over 30 years of experience in the field of global health. The pivotal mechanism of its work model is the transfer of knowledge generated by scientific research to practice, a task undertaken by the Research, Training and Policy and Global Development departments. Its ultimate goal is to help close the gaps in health disparities between and within different regions of the world.
What We Are Looking for
The 40 months project, is funded by the European and Developing Countries Trial Partnership (EDCTP) and coordinated by ISGlobal, the Barcelona Institute for Global Health, in partnership with the Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD), France, the Fundaçao Manhiça (FM), Mozambique, the University of Lomé (UL), Togo, the University of Sierra Leone, Sierra Leone and the Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV), Switzerland.
The consortium will work closely with the Ministries of Health in Sierra Leone, Togo and Mozambique, the World Health Organization (WHO) as well as other stakeholders, to ensure that all project outputs are met.
MULTIPLY will generate evidence for change and expand access to preventive chemotherapy for malaria in infants in sub Saharan Africa apply a community-based approach that fosters partnership and strengthens the dynamic link between communities and health facilities, especially for the most vulnerable people. A learning-driven approach will be employed throughout the project to generate sufficient evidence to inform WHO policy recommendations and future actions in each country, in an effort to expand the intervention over the long-term.
ISGlobal is the lead evaluation and research organization and is responsible for implementing a set of studies to generate evidence for global guidance on IPTi. Specifically, ISGlobal will be responsible for designing and implementing the project’s evaluation plan, as well as designing, analyzing and reporting the clinical and operational research studies to assess the effectiveness and impact of the intervention, including its feasibility of the intervention through the EPI.
- Develop study protocols, source documents and other technical documents in collaboration with local counterparts identified by ISGlobal
- Support and supervise the monitoring and evaluation of IPTi implementation and related research studies in the project countries
- Supervise data collection activities
- Support all operational research activities
- Coordinate, supervise and perform training activities with local counterparts as required
- Perform priority research and analyses
- Quality assurance for the data analysis leading to reporting and scientific publication
- Interact with colleagues from ISGlobal, and local counterparts in project countries
- Prepare documents for different meetings and research conferences as required
- Support in the elaboration of progress reports, workplans and other documents as required by the ISGlobal’s Project Director / Technical Coordinator
- Report his/her activities of the project
- Scientific writing of manuscripts derived of the research activities
Under the guidance of the Project Director (PD) and the Technical coordinator (TC) the candidate will be expected to:
- Travel on a regular basis to project countries to implement and supervise the monitoring, evaluation and research activities of the project
- Conduct and supervise the training in the project countries
- Interact with local counterparts’ implementing team in the project countries
- Prepare and present reports of the activities and field trips to the Technical Coordinator
- Carry out any other duties that are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by ISGlobal Technical Coordinator
- Advanced University degree in biomedical sciences
- Master or PhD studies in Epidemiology or Public Health
- At least 5 years of experience on epidemiological research in the field
- Verifiable evidence of having experience in community-based surveys
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of health interventions
- Working experience in low-income countries
- Experience managing and analyzing large data sets of clinical, laboratory, and field data
- Required competencies:
- Full-time schedule and exclusive dedication
- A very good command (advanced level) of the English language; a working knowledge (intermediate level) of Portuguese and French is a plus
- Knowledge of Spanish or Catalan is a plus
- Excellent writing ability to elaborate high-quality and concise technical reports Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent ability of initiative, coordination and team work in multicultural environment, and to interact with staff at project countries, at governmental organizations and NGOs
- Flexibility. Open to new ideas and new working methods, adapt positively to change, exchange views and opinions with colleagues. Able to work independently while understanding his/her own limits
- Oriented to train and transfer knowledge to biomedical staff in African contexts.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, STATA (or similar statistical packages), communication applications and Web technologies
- Ability to design and develop activities, to achieve milestones and specific deliverables, and to meet deadlines
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- To have a genuine interest in biomedical research of infectious diseases, capacity building and global development
- Fixed-term contract for all project length (up to 40 months)
- Salary according to the candidate profile and project budget
How to Apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and attach the CV and a cover letter including the following Reference Number Position: Epi_MULTIPLY_Jan21. Applications should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted. Each document must include the candidate name and surname. The receipt of applications will be open until 28th February 2021.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.