- 29 June - 10 July 2020
- StartUB!Lab - Barcelona
- Funded by EU (20€ registration fee)
- Full Time
- Face to face
- 10 days
- 5 ECTS (accreditation in process)
The digital revolution has the potential to improve health and empower patients, but it could also increase health inequities, shaping the economy and the society.
ENERGHY 10-day Summer School is a toolbox and a fresh experience to change perspective for a new generation of global health innovators. Designed to empower postgraduate students, researchers and young professionals to create new business models with global citizen-centric solutions aimed at democratizing health for all.
What will you learn?
You will develop an entrepreneurial mindset; acquiring innovation, management and communication knowledge and skills to create a start-up.
- Motivated by the Sustainable Development Goals.
- “Learn-by-doing” with open discussions with entrepreneurs, tech transfer experts, spotlight speakers, real challenge-based workshops, real-life cases, challenge-based workshops, coaching, online toolbox and final pitch award.
- Leverages talent putting together top hospitals, research, academia, tech transfer and industry partners from across Europe to jointly work on a unique course offer on global health transformation.
- Worldwide reach, with participants from around the globe and different backgrounds to enrich perspective and networking.
Pau Gargallo, 30 (Entrance via Pascual i Via)
University of Barcelona
The ENERGHY partnership includes the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal), University of Barcelona (UB), NUI-Galway BioInnovate Ireland, Sanofi-Espoir Foundation, Hospital Sant Joan de Déu (HSJD) and Médecins sans Frontières (MSF).
Day 1 — Challenges in Global Health
- MORNING | How can innovation help reach the SDGs?
- AFTERNOON | Push creativity up, teambuilding.
Day 2 — Innovation for Health Equity
- MORNING | Overcoming health access and inequity through innovative business models.
- AFTERNOON | Awaken the entrepreneurial spirit; finding a problem to solve.
Day 3 — Moving to Smart Health
- MORNING | From research to innovation for impact; medical technology innovation
- AFTERNOON | Opportunity validation and customer discovery
Day 4 — Needs Led Innovation
- MORNING | User-cented Bio-design process; intellectual property & transfer policy
- AFTERNOON | Customer mapping and value proposition
Day 5 & 6 — From Knowledge to Users
- MORNING | Visit & workshop to 3 sites: Sanofi-Aventis, Médecins sans Frontières and Hospital Sant Joan de Déu.
- AFTERNOON | Minimum valuable product with Lego serious play; turning ideas into Business Models
Day 7 & 8 — Start-Up your business
- MORNING | Start-up financials; ups, downs, pitfalls and watch-outs of successful start-ups; wearing the investor's hat; innovator toolkit.
- AFTERNOON | Urban health spotlight talk; bring your business model together; the road to market: flipping the pitch.
Day 9 — Final coaching
- How to pitch your project
Day 10 — Pitch and awards ceremony
ENERGHY Summer Scool is a toolbox, experiential learning and the ground zero of a radical mindset transformation towards a new generation of young global health innovators.
The 10-day course will lead learners from science to market leveraging:
- Live cases with entrepreneurs, tech transfer experts and spotlight speakers to increase awareness on Global Health challenges and how innovation is playing a main role to tackle Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Challenge-based workshops and team work, in which a real Global Health challenge will be proposed by ENERGHY Partners for learners to develop in teams an innovative and sustainable business model guided by coachers.
- Challenge-based visits to Médecins sans Frontières, Sant Joan de Déu Pediatric Hospital, Sanofi-Espoir and Barcelona Health Hub in Barcelona (½ day visits) to interact with hands-on innovators.
- Online Toolbox on entrepreneurship
- Network stimulation
- Final Pitch and Awards
- Post-programme mentoring of the 3 best projects with 6 months access to NUI-G LaunchPad or StartUB! Sprint
- Understand the need for innovation to tackle main Global Health challenges and reach Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Apply an entrepreneurial mindset to drive Global Health innovation.
- Analyse innovative business models for better access, equity and sustainability in healthcare.
- Develop effective strategies to fully leverage digital transformation in Global health.
- Develop a critical mindset by acquiring entrepreneurship and management knowledge and skills to start-up a business.
- Develop effective communication skills to deliver a winning pitch.
- Management & Leadership: developing positivity, creativity, teambuilding, collaboration and emotional intelligence to create targeted solutions.
- Inter-professional & Multidisciplinary approach: interacting with faculty and participants from different geographical, educational (i.e. life/medical science, public health, bioengineering, social sciences) and professional backgrounds (academia, research, healthcare, medtech, tech transfer).
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation : identifying uncovered needs and designing innovative and profitable business models.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making: increasing awareness on the challenges and deliver effective solutions through co-creation, opportunity validation, customer discovery, minimum valuable product and business model definition, iteration and pivoting process.
- Interpersonal & Citizen-oriented: bringing together as a team a citizen-centred solution to the market.
- Needs-driven innovation: applying design thinking and business model canvas methodologies.
- Communication: performing a convincing pitch.
ENERGHY is addressed to:
- MSc and PhD students
- Postdoctoral researchers
- Young entrepreneurs and professionals interested in Global Health coming from different disciplines.
Fluency in English is required.
Tuition free since the ENERGHY Summer School 2020 has been awarded funding from EIT Health which is supported by EIT, a body of the European Union.
The estimated value price for this course is 1000€.
Accepted candidates will be required to pay 20€ to cover the registration fees by the University of Barcelona and cover their travel and accommodation costs.
A number of scholarships are offered for this course, further information will be available during the recruitment process.
How to apply
Interested candidates are required to complete the pre-registration form.
Applications will be evaluated in each round of admissions and they will be notified by email to all applicants.
Deadlines for Applications:
- Round 1 Admissions Deadline: 1st April 2020. Notification of admission 20th April 2020.
- Round 2 Admissions Deadline: 1st May 2020. Notification of admission 20th May 2020.
- Round 3 Admissions Deadline: 1st June 2020. Notification of admission 20th June 2020.
- Round 4 Admissions Deadline: 15th June 2020. Notification of admission 22th June 2020.
Convenient university residence next to the venue at StartUB!Lab
Please contact the residence to check prices and availability, and inform them that you are are participant of the ENERGHY Summer School at StartUB!Lab.