- 28 June - 15 July 2021
- 875€ + University Taxes
- Full Time
- 5 ECTS
The digital revolution has the potential to improve health and empower patients, but it could also increase health inequities, shaping the economy and the society.
ENERGHY 14-day Summer School is a toolbox and a fresh experience to change perspective for a new generation of Global Health innovators. Designed to empower postgraduate students, researchers and young professionals to create new business models with global citizen-centric solutions aimed at democratizing health for all.
What will you learn?
You will develop an entrepreneurial mindset; acquiring innovation, management and communication knowledge and skills to create a start-up.
- Motivated by the Sustainable Development Goals.
- “Learn-by-doing” with open discussions with entrepreneurs, tech transfer experts, spotlight speakers, real challenge-based workshops, online toolbox and final pitch award.
- Leverages talent putting together top hospitals, research, academia, tech transfer and industry partners from across Europe to jointly work on a unique course offer on global health transformation.
- Worldwide reach, with participants from around the globe and different backgrounds to enrich perspective and networking.
The ENERGHY partnership includes the Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal), University of Barcelona (UB), NUI-Galway BioInnovate Ireland, Sanofi-Espoir Foundation, Hospital Sant Joan de Déu (HSJD) and Médecins sans Frontières (MSF).
Day 1 - Challenges in Global Health
Fostering socially valuable Global Health innovation: new R&I models for Pandemic Preparedness & Response; Global Health Challenges; Push creativity up & Teambuilding
Day 2 - Needs led Innovation
Virtual Challenge-based Field Visits to Sanofi Espoir, Hospital Sant Joan de Déu and Médecines Sans Frontières; Problem statement definition
Day 3 - Innovation for Health Equity
Business model innovation for health equity; From research to innovation for impact
Day 4 - Moving to smart health
Intellectual property and transfer policy; Needs driven innovation: Biodesign; Medical Technology Innovation
Day 5 - Innovation & Entrepreneurship: searching for opporunities
Being an entrepreneur ups, downs, pitfalls and watch-outs; Opportunity validation
Day 6 - Market Discovery Validation: building successful value propositions
Customer, user discovery and profiling; Valude proposition design and validation
Day 7 & 8 - Startup your business: Product Development and Business Design
Prototyping MVP; Patient & Expert validation; Buisness Model Generation; Urban Health spotlight talk
Day 9 - Startup your business: Financials and investment
Start-up financials; Partnerships, Business Management and what investors want; Innovator toolkit; Global Health Diplomacy spotlight talk
Day 10 - Pitch Coaching
Flipping the pitch in collaboration with EIT Health Alumni; How to pitch a project?
Day 11-13 - Pitch Elaboration
Flipping the pitch in collaboration with EIT
Day 11, 12, 13 - Pitch elaboration
Video pitch elaboration & revision; sharing feedback; Alumni registration
Day 14 - Pitch and awards
ENERGHY Summer Scool is a toolbox, experiential learning and the ground zero of a radical mindset transformation towards a new generation of young global health innovators.
The course will lead learners from science to market leveraging:
- Live cases with entrepreneurs, tech transfer experts and spotlight speakers to increase awareness on Global Health challenges and how innovation is playing a main role to tackle Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Challenge-based workshops and team work, in which a real Global Health challenge will be proposed by ENERGHY Partners for learners to develop in teams an innovative and sustainable business model guided by coachers.
- Challenge-based visits to Médecins sans Frontières, Sant Joan de Déu Pediatric Hospital, Sanofi-Espoir and Barcelona Health Hub in Barcelona (½ day visits) to interact with hands-on innovators.
- Online Toolbox on entrepreneurship
- Network stimulation
- Final Pitch and Awards
- Post-programme mentoring of the 3 best projects with 6 months access to NUI-G LaunchPad or StartUB! Sprint
- Understand the need for innovation to tackle main Global Health challenges and reach Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Apply an entrepreneurial mindset to drive Global Health innovation.
- Analyse innovative business models for better access, equity and sustainability in healthcare.
- Develop effective strategies to fully leverage digital transformation in Global health.
- Develop a critical mindset by acquiring entrepreneurship and management knowledge and skills to start-up a business.
- Develop effective communication skills to deliver a winning pitch.
- Management & Leadership: developing positivity, creativity, teambuilding, collaboration and emotional intelligence to create targeted solutions.
- Inter-professional & Multidisciplinary approach: interacting with faculty and participants from different geographical, educational (i.e. life/medical science, public health, bioengineering, social sciences) and professional backgrounds (academia, research, healthcare, medtech, tech transfer).
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation : identifying uncovered needs and designing innovative and profitable business models.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making: increasing awareness on the challenges and deliver effective solutions through co-creation, opportunity validation, customer discovery, minimum valuable product and business model definition, iteration and pivoting process.
- Interpersonal & Citizen-oriented: bringing together as a team a citizen-centred solution to the market.
- Needs-driven innovation: applying design thinking and business model canvas methodologies.
- Communication: performing a convincing pitch.
ENERGHY is addressed to:
- MSc and PhD students
- Postdoctoral researchers
- Young entrepreneurs and professionals interested in Global Health coming from different disciplines.
Motivated to lead change in Global Health and coming from different disciplines.
Please complete the pre-application form.
Once completed, candidates will receive an automatic email requesting the submission of a CV and an optional video.
The notification of admissions will be done on a monthly basis.
Applications received between the 1st and the 23rd of the month will be communicated on the last day of the same month.
Applications received between the 23rd and the last day of a month will be communicated on the last day of the following month.