The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in the following main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Maternal, Child and reproductive Health, Urban Health and Child and environmental health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is seeking a Technician who is interested in conducting activities of the IMAP (https://www.isglobal.org/en/-/imap-barcelona) and related projects. The overall project goal is to evaluate the relationship between the urban environment, including air pollution and cognitive functioning in mature adults. The work involves a large field work program that includes 600 mature adults in Barcelona. The Technician will help with the field work and data management of this exciting project. The IMAP study is conducted in Barcelona, Hong Kong and Melbourne.
The overarching aim of this study is to examine the extent to which, how, and for whom aspects of the urban environment influence brain health and cognitive health in 600 mid-aged and older (50-79 years) community dwellers living in Barcelona, Spain. Specifically, we will examine:
- The associations of physical and social attributes of the participants’ neighbourhood environment and other activity locations with changes in cognitive function and brain health.
- The extent to which these changes are explained by lifestyle behaviours (physical activity, sedentary time, quality of sleep, social and cognitive activities.
- The extent to which the observed associations depend on personality traits and genetic predisposition to dementia.
This prospective observational study will collect longitudinal data through a 7-day objective assessment of mobility behaviours and lifestyle activities. A subsample of 200 participants will be subsequently invited to undertake Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) brain scans to further assess brain health parameters. This will be repeated two years after.
«Programa Investigo», de contractació de persones joves demandants de feina en la realització d'iniciatives de recerca i innovació, en el marc del Pla de Recuperació, Transformació i Resiliència.
- The Technician will help with the field work and data management of this exciting IMAP project.
- Interviewing subjects
- Data collection
- Data managements
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may evolve at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop providing there is appropriate consultation with the post-holder.
This job description is not a definitive or exhaustive list of responsibilities but identifies the key responsibilities and tasks of the post holder. The specific objectives of the post holder will be subject to review as part of the individual professional assessment process.
Training and experience /Qualifications
- Bacehelor´s degree in environmental science, epidemiology, biology, public health or similar degree and level
- Strong motivation to engage in interdisciplinary and intersectoral activities
- Skills in writing and reporting
- Good organisational skills
- Good communications skills
- Can work in groups
- Problem resolution.
- Learning capacity.
The post holder will adhere to ISGlobal principles contained in People management policy, including Equity, diversity and health safety. The post holder will respect, and accountable to ensure ISGlobal policies and procedures.
- Spanish, Catalan and English
- Duration: 24 months
- Starting date: One month after the closing date
- Contract: full time
The selection process is designed in two phases:
1- Interview phase of a technical nature, with the team that requires the incorporation. To assess the person's skills and CV.
2 - Meeting with HR with the finalist(s) to finish assessing the profile and discuss contractual and institutional issues.
If needed any technical test could be pass. A Psychological Competency Evaluation Test will be required for the structural or transversal positions.
In accordance with the OTM-R principles, a gender-balanced recruitment panel is formed for every vacancy at the beginning of the process. After reviewing the content of the applications, the panel will start the interviews, with at least one technical and one administrative interview. A profile questionnaire as well as a technical exercise may be required during the process.
INVESTIGO Program Specific requirements
According to the specific requirements of the CALL INVESTIGO (RESOLUCIÓ REU/42/2022, de 17 de gener, CVE-DOGC-A-22018037-2022) the elegible candidates should fulfill the following criteria at the moment of the signature of the contract:
- Be more than 16 years old and under 30 years old
- Be registered at SOC (Servei Públic d'Ocupació de Catalunya) as job applicant
- Not to have carried out any type of research activity in ISGlobal within 6 months immediately prior to the start of the contract.
- Must meet the requirements for the type of contract to be formalized, and must be adjusted to the specific circumstances of each initiative, in accordance with current legislation.
These requirements must be met at the beginning of your participation in the program.
How to apply:
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Technician_INVESTIGO_IMAP_Jul22, attach the BLIND CV (without personal data) and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until 30/09/2022
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The interviews could be placed during the reception candidatures period.
Diverse candidacies are encouraged, that includes: gender, race, ethnicity, religion, age, sexual orientation, physical abilities, and political views.