The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
The research program on Climate and Health, led by iCREA research professor Xavier Rodó, is looking for a skilled and motivated postdoctoral candidate to join the AeroBioHealth Lab. Through this lab, the group aims to address how the effects of atmospheric physical and chemical factors might contribute to producing new ailments to human health. In particular, the candidate will work on understanding the effects of the atmospheric microbiome and its byproducts in airborne diseases such as Kawasaki disease (www.kawasaki-disease.com) and other inflammatory diseases.
Responsabilities and tasks:
Under the guidance of the head of the program and of the lab manager, the candidate will:
- Design and conduct studies on airborne microbial community analyses.
- Develop and improve procedures for microbial cultivation and molecular analysis of environmental samples.
- Design, implement and perform field work (e.g. air monitoring and sampling campaigns).
- Perform data processing and analysis.
- Elaborate concise protocols, reports and manuscripts.
- Supervise and conduct training to degree and/or masters students.
- Prepare documents and or presentations for different meetings and research conferences as required.
- Support and carry out other operational research activities within the scope and purpose of the group projects.
Training and Experience:
- PhD studies in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biomedical or Environmental sciences or related disciplines.
- Previous working experience in a microbiology laboratory under biosafety conditions.
- Training and demonstrated experience in both microbial culture and molecular techniques (DNA extraction, qPCR analysis and metagenomic sequencing).
- Knowledge of fluorescence microscopy and image processing will be also valued.
Required competencies and skills:
- Excellent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Spanish and/or Catalan would be an asset.
- Availability to travel as required by project activities.
- Capability of setting and meeting deadlines and delivering research outputs.
- Strong organizational and team-working skills (yet capable of working independently).
- Capacity of writing project proposals, grant applications and manuscripts.
- Ability to train and transfer knowledge.
- Flexibility to adapt positively to changes and open to new ideas.
- Full time position, starting in October 1st.
- 2 years postdoctoral contract (1+1), with a possibility to further extension (after an evaluation of the candidate’s proven capacity at the end of the contract).
- Salary according to the candidate’s profile and proven skills.
How to apply:
Applicants must send a CV and a cover letter by email to email@example.com with the subject heading PD_KAWASAKI.
Applications should also include the names and email contacts of 2 referees who can be contacted immediately if shortlisted. The closing date for receipt of applications is September 15th or as soon as a suitable candidate is selected after this date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings, religion or sexual orientation.
"In accordance with articles 5 and 6 of Law 15/1999 on personal data protection, we inform you that your personal data will be incorporated into a Human Resources file, for which the Private Foundation Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is responsible. If you do not inform us otherwise, ISGlobal will understand that you have consented to the processing of your data. Your information will not be disclosed to individuals or legal public or private entities without your consent unless authorized by law. You can exercise your rights to access, rectify, cancel and oppose the use of your personal information by contacting ISGlobal by post at C/Rosselló, 132, 5è 2a and 7è, 08036 - Barcelona or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.